Thursday, April 9, 2009

From Trey Garrison

Trey writes:
I've been successfully freelancing for six years now, with a year-and-a-half interruption to take a full-time gig at D, which I left a year ago.

If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to give a seminar or whatever you want to call it to any and all former DMN staffers on how to make a living freelancing.

If the crowd is big enough, I figure we could charge a minor fee to cover the cost of an appropriate venue. Maybe even coffee and donuts or whatever. If it's a small group, we could probably find somewhere free to do it.

Figure between the two of us -- and I'd protect your anonymity -- we could organize this sooner rather than later.

If you want to post this to gauge interest, feel free.

Either way, good luck and Godspeed to all our inky brothers and sisters.

Also:
I'm still figuring out the details, I don't have a business plan drawn up, and I haven't called the first potential investor, but...

I'm trying to figure out how to make a purely online newspaper focused exclusively on Plano work. Plano is sort of a unique critter -- big enough, tech-friendly enough, and prosperous enough to merit its own independent coverage, but underserved by both the DMN and the Plano Star Courier.

I foresee something that marries video and print, and is primarily enterprise reporting on city issues, cops, local sports, and some lifestyle stuff. Not big on opinion, though there would be a blog, forum, etc.

If there are any Plano-based DMN pink slippers, I'd love to at least touch base with them as I develop this idea, and see what could be reasoned out on how to make this work.

Feel free to pass along.


--
Trey Garrison
treygarrison.com
trey@treygarrison.com

2 comments:

  1. Best way to reach me is trey@treygarrison.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a victim and would definitely be interested in the freelancing seminar.

    ReplyDelete